HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Sports » Sports (Group) » Tim Tebow assigned by Met...

Mon Mar 20, 2017, 05:26 PM

Tim Tebow assigned by Mets to Class A ball

Makes sense. He might have a degree of success at that level and he will be a draw based on his name recognition.

Tim Tebow will begin his professional baseball journey in 2017 with the New York Mets' Class A team in Columbia, South Carolina.

The 2007 Heisman Trophy winner was told Monday that he will be assigned to the Columbia Fireflies, the Mets' affiliate in the South Atlantic League.

"Sending him to a full-season club is what we hoped to be able to do," Mets general manager Sandy Alderson told Newsday. "And based on what he's done in spring training, and his whole body of work since last fall, we feel comfortable with him going to Columbia."

Tebow is hitting .235 (4-for-17) in six games for the Mets in spring training, entering Monday's Grapefruit League play. The Mets have been playing him in the outfield.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18960670/tim-tebow-play-new-york-mets-class-club-columbia-fireflies

13 replies, 290 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply Tim Tebow assigned by Mets to Class A ball (Original post)
True Dough Monday OP
CanonRay Monday #1
tazkcmo Monday #2
brush Monday #3
ProfessorGAC Tuesday #8
brush Tuesday #10
ProfessorGAC Tuesday #11
brush Tuesday #12
ProfessorGAC Tuesday #13
Brother Buzz Monday #4
Docreed2003 Monday #5
True Dough Monday #6
Docreed2003 Monday #7
ProfessorGAC Tuesday #9

Response to True Dough (Original post)

Mon Mar 20, 2017, 05:44 PM

1. Jesus will not make that little ball any bigger for Tommie

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Mar 20, 2017, 05:47 PM

2. At an age when most athletes

are retiring. I guess he's saved a lot of fair wear and tear on his body due to his lack of professional level athletic ability. Good on him.

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 20, 2017, 05:50 PM

3. We all know he can't throw. And batting .235 now we all know he can't hit either

Last edited Tue Mar 21, 2017, 04:10 PM - Edit history (1)

Give it up Tebow. You shoulda stayed in football and played tight end or fullback.

Star quarterback or star outfielder for the Mets is just not in the cards for you.

Reply to this post

Response to brush (Reply #3)

Tue Mar 21, 2017, 11:14 AM

8. And, He Ain't Hitting Off Verlander. . .

. . .or Kershaw or Baumgardner or Arieta or Hendricks. As Lou said in "Major League 2", "yeah off a guy that'll be bagging groceries in a couple weeks."

Reply to this post

Response to ProfessorGAC (Reply #8)

Tue Mar 21, 2017, 11:27 AM

10. Yep! And if he wasn't Tebow, with those stats he'd be bagging groceries too

His name will get him another sports network job until he gets his next notion to play another sport...Maybe boxing or MMA or hockey. He's big enough to be a good enforcer on the ice, if he can skate that is.

And speaking of boxing (I assume everyone responding on this thread are the DU sports fans), I just saw a video on ESPN of Floyd Mayweather during halftime at an NBA game, 40-years-old now, in street clothes and shoes, all 5' 9" of him, starting from the top of the key, dribble to the basket, elevate and dunk the basketball.

Jaws dropped throughout the arena, including the players.

And I mean he didn't just barely dunk, he had his hand in the rim past his wrist.

I saw that and thought to myself, if Connor McGregor sees that, he may back out of their fight. I mean I had no idea he was that spectacular an athlete.

Reply to this post

Response to brush (Reply #10)

Tue Mar 21, 2017, 01:58 PM

11. Funny Note

As a b-ball player my one real skill was leaping. I could dunk when i was 5'6". In fact, years later the coach and i were talking at a reunion and he told me (he was brand new to the school that year) that i made the team before the first practice even started because he saw me jump up and grab the rim with both hands from a standing start. He said he told himself that he could teach me basketball but he couldn't teach that.

Grew to 5'9" but couldn't have gotten hear the rim by the time i was 40.

The fact that Floyd could still do that is pretty remarkable even to me, who actually could do that at that height, albeit a heck of lot younger.

Reply to this post

Response to ProfessorGAC (Reply #11)

Tue Mar 21, 2017, 02:26 PM

12. Hats off, man. You still play?

Reply to this post

Response to brush (Reply #12)

Tue Mar 21, 2017, 03:45 PM

13. No Way

I'm 60 years old. I was never the "shooter dude". With the way i played, from 35 years old on, b-ball was a knee injury waiting to happen.

That and i have had MS for 20 years. Doesn't affect my life much, but any quickness i still had at 39 years old went away in a big hurry when that happened.

I did love playing pick up games and guys would enjoy me on the team because i actually craved playing D. Used to frustrate the crap out of taller guys when a guy 8 or 9 inches played physically, made them work for the ball, and then had a chance to block their shot anyway. That could really take a guy out of his game. The little guy blocked his shot. Start forcing stuff, charging, making dribbles moves they really can't make and start tossing the ball away. Kind of fun to be that annoying little bugger.

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 20, 2017, 06:26 PM

4. Woohoo, Class A, baby!

Will this be apex of his baseball career?

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 20, 2017, 06:48 PM

5. If he weren't Tebow, with similar stats would he even make a single A roster?

Reply to this post

Response to Docreed2003 (Reply #5)

Mon Mar 20, 2017, 06:55 PM

6. Hmm...

Reply to this post

Response to True Dough (Reply #6)

Mon Mar 20, 2017, 07:01 PM

7. Lmao...

Reply to this post

Response to True Dough (Reply #6)

Tue Mar 21, 2017, 11:15 AM

9. He Could At Least Steal Bases

And cover a lot of ground in the OF. And, if they made him mad, he might have bought the team and fired everyone.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread